Change Bluetooth Name on iPhone – When you connect a Bluetooth device to another one, then both of those Bluetooth devices can have a name displayed on the other device. This helps to ensure that you are connecting to the correct device. But you may want to know how to change the Bluetooth name on an iPhone if you find the current name to be too vague, or entirely incorrect.
Bluetooth is a short-range communications protocol that allows wireless file transfers and wireless accessory connections between your iPhone or iPad and other devices like speakers, keyboards, or mice.
How to Change the Name of a Bluetooth Device on the iPhone?
- First, turn on the Bluetooth device you want to rename so then it connects to your iPhone. Here you can only rename devices that are actively connected.
- Start the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “Bluetooth.”
- Find the device you want to rename. Make sure it says “Connected,” and then tap the “i” on the right side of the screen. Ensure your device is connected and then tap on the “I.”
- Tap “Name. Most of the devices can be renamed with a few taps.
- On the Name page, rename the device and then tap “Done” on the keyboard. Type the new name for the device and then tap “Done.” That’s it – you’ve now renamed the device.
- If you don’t see the option to rename the device, there are two possibilities:
- The device is not connected to your iPhone. Make sure the device is turned on and connected.
- The device can’t be renamed. Not all Bluetooth devices allow you to rename them, so you have to keep the default name assigned by the manufacturer.
How to Change Bluetooth Name on iPhone?
- Open Settings.
- Choose General.
- Tap About.
- Touch the Name button.
- Enter the new name and tap Done.
How to Change the Name of a Bluetooth Device?
Open the Settings
To get to your Bluetooth settings, you first need to open the Settings app, of course!
Click on the Bluetooth
In Settings, you need to click Bluetooth to get to your Bluetooth settings. Here, make sure Bluetooth is on and your product is connected. You can only change the name of connected products.
Tap the Product
Here is where you can tap your products to rename them. In my case, I am trying to rename my laptop from the generic default name that it’s given to “Christina’s Laptop.”
Click on the Name
To rename the Bluetooth device, click the name. You’ll notice it has the name and an arrow to the right of the name. Once the name has been changed, you’ll know because the new Bluetooth name will be reflected here.
Change the Bluetooth Name
Once you click “name,” the keyboard automatically pops up so that you can enter whatever Bluetooth name you choose. Here, I chose to name my Bluetooth device “Christina’s Laptop.” Once you are done, click done.
And that’s it, your Bluetooth product has been renamed! If you want to take it one step further, and get super organized, select a device type in the next step. By giving your product a device type, you can improve the audio quality, because the audio levels will then match your product type.
Choose a Device Type
You will be taken back to the Bluetooth settings after you’ve renamed your Bluetooth product and then click on the done. Here you can choose your device type to make sure the audio levels are specified to the device type. Here’s how:
- Click on the”Device Type.”
- Chose the closest option given.
In my case, my laptop fits best in the “other” category. Chose as closely as you can to make sure the audio levels match the product type.